Forums  

Go Back   Forums > New, Classic and Vintage Motorbike Forum

Old 06-12-2009, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Default my BSA bantam D1

ever since I 1st started riding, over 25 years ago I've always wanted a D1 bantam

I've owned several D7s & a gpo D10

last year I finaly got my wish when this ridged D1 came up on ebay, it was little more than a rusty frame & two boxes of even rustier parts but appart from missing the rear wheel & a couple of nuts & bolts it was complete so I just had to have it

here's the frame after a coat of primer

the mudguards were more holes than metal & needed some serious welding up

here I'm just drilling all the mounting holes befor I spray them

a set of new decals was a must, here the tank is just about to get a new set of roosters befor laquering to seal them in

& here I am about to start on the rewire

Last edited by mr ripley; 06-12-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

if any of you BSA fans were wondering where I got hold of mist green paint for this respray, don't be fooled, this is vauxhall leaf green & it's a very good match

now with the wiring done she can be wheeled out of the workshop (cunningly diguised as my spare bedroom)

a dose of oil in the gearbox & some fule in the tank I she's ready to go

I was really happy with the way it runs the engine is nice & quiet with no nasty rattle or squeaks & the gears all engage nicely too

so I stripped it all down again as quite a few of the parts needed shot blasting to clean them up befor painting or polishing & the rear wheel is the wrong colour so it needs painting

so after all that work it's now a bare frame & two boxes of bits again
Old 06-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Hi, a very nice job you did on the bike, i rember them on the road, the leaf green is very close, and so is vauxhall pampas green i think, it maybe a little lighter.
The saddle looks new, you must get her going again.

My son has been doing up a bike, not sure what it is, as he lives in Cov:, so i dont see to much of him, but now the forum is up i hope he will post it here.

Last edited by Holly Goodhead; 20-08-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

hi Gibbmodoll,

yes the saddle needed a new cover as the old one had long since rotted away, it's also got a new squeesy bulb on the horn but I think I've managed to re-vamp the old one so that will be going back on it

the barrel has had a fresh coat of heat proof gloss black & I have new points & condenser to fit when I rebuild it again

the exhahst is all shiny new chrome now, so I'm just waiting for the cylinder head, break & clutch levers, handlebar yolks, & a few other parts to come back from blasting so I can set about it again

one problem I have though is my garage is full to bursting & the only way it fits in there is in bits so when I put it back together I won't have anywhere to keep it
Old 11-12-2009, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Thats the trouble, its like my wife`s jigsaw puzzles, when she has done them, there is no where to put them, when they are in the box its no trouble.
I hope you can squeeze that nice bike in somehow .

Last edited by Holly Goodhead; 20-08-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

hi folks,

I finally got round to getting the bantam back in the workshop to re-build it

the parts I sent off for blasting 12 months ago still haven't been done so I asked the guy to just give them back so I can make other arrangements for them

I'm just hoping the other parts that have been lying around my garage haven't gotten scratched up in the mean time or I might end up having to paint them all again

I still have the rear wheel & the headlight rim to paint but I'm hoping that's it

& so the fun begins, I just hope I can remember where everything goes & what bolts to use
Old 14-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Hi it will be good to see that one up and running again, i know the feeling its a job to know how it all fits back, after so much time, and half the bolts and nuts are missing, or there are some lift over .

Last edited by Holly Goodhead; 20-08-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Old 14-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

it seems I put all the bolts back in the holes they came out of when I stripped it so it hasn't been too bad so far

I had a few parts left to paint & one of the mounting lugs had snapped off the back rack so that needed tacking back on

the only parts I seem to have miss placed are the rear mudguard stays but I know they're in the garage somewhere

tacking the rack back together

here's my spray booth, cleverly disguised as a cardboard box with a vaccuum cleaner attached to it

& here's progress so far

the back wheel is the right colour & the cylinder barrel is nice & shiney now

they are a realy simple bike to put together, I recon I could build one completely from scratch in about 4 hours if I had all the parts in the same place at the same time
Old 17-03-2010, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

how about this for a bit of good luck,

I have got the bike together now appart from the tank, which I left out in the garage because it is still full off fuel, & the cylinder head, because I haven't got it back yet,

I decided to take the head off a spare engine I had in my cupboard that I have been keeping for an off road version I am also building

I didn't want to use this head as it has a couple of broken fins & I was hoping to keep this one as perfect as possable, but it seems I have no other choice so I whipped it off anyway only to find the cylinder has just had a rebore & it has a brand new +20 piston in it

so seeing as this bike has had new wheel bearings front & rear, new steering head bearings, & new fork bushes. it seems only right to give it a rebore & new piston too

got to go dig out the heat proof paint now & make it all nice & shiny then I shall fit it in the morning
Old 18-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Hi, the bike is comming on great, do you hope to ride it on the road again, it would be great to see it on the road again and hear what it sounds like .

Last edited by Holly Goodhead; 20-08-2017 at 10:25 AM.