Forums  

Go Back   Forums > New, Classic and Vintage Motorbike Forum

Old 13-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Default my everyday classic

A friend of mine is always questioning my love of classic bikes & is constantly putting them down

he argues that they're unreliable, outdated, uncomfortable, the breaks are rubbish, they're easy to break, & the parts are so hard to find that riding one as everyday transport would be immpossable

well, all I can say to that is here's my everyday transport

it's a 1974 Saracen trials 125
one of the great things about riding classics is if you don't like something you can always change it

how many cafe racers are there out there using a norton frame with a triumph engine & a whole host of parts the owners have made themselves to suit their own specific tastes

this bike is more or less the same idea the the rolling chassis & the petrol tank are pretty much all that's left of the bike as it was when I got it eight years ago

it had a fitchell & sachs 6C 125 engine in it to start with, for those of you who don't know who they are, they were the German equivalent of our Villiers, making proprietary engines for other manufacturers

the 6C engine was really pokey but was made for competition, having a 14:1 compression ratio making it almost impossable to kick over & prone to lots of back firing if run on modern unleaded road fule

so, out with the old & in with the new, it now has an MZ ts 125 mm2 Luxus engine in it

the bike I took that out of had done thousands of (flat out) miles with me from one end of the country to the other untill some burk in a merk decided to make me the unwilling participant in the infamous "T bone" manouver leaving the bike a wreck but the engine ok

the speedo drive was origionally built into the front sprocket housing & since that went out with the old engine I had to switch to a digital unit
this one is the "Trailtech Vapor" (nothing outdated about that eh?)

the handle bars & seat are both made by Wassell

& most of the other parts are things I had lying round in the shed

in the end I've got a bike that I really enjoy riding, it's comfortable, the MZ engine is nigh on bullet proof & it's very easy to work on, if anything breaks, it doesn't matter what parts I put on as long as they fit & work

it's had several different lighting kits, different exhaust systems & carburater, different suspension, 5 different seats, & I'm currently waiting for a 14 liter petrol tank I have on order to arrive from the states, which should give me a better range as I only get 70 miles to that (5ltr) one

Last edited by mr ripley; 13-12-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 13-12-2009, 10:41 PM
Administrator

A very nice bike, and very interesting post, i enjoyed reading about it .

Last edited by Holly Goodhead; 20-08-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Old 14-12-2009, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

thank's Gibbmodoll,

I'm glad you like it, I have a great many stories about the different things I've done to this bike so I had a hard time deciding what to put in the 1st post about it with out rambeling

tuning it to run with a miss matched exhaust & carb was interesting

the BVF carb that was standard equipment for the MZ wouldn't run well at all it was just too erratic it wouldn't idle at anything less than 2000rpm or it would just die, & just when I thought I had it running right it would start doing somthing else weird

so I changed that for a type 53 Bing which I had to have the mounting stub modified for

I thought the exhaust was going to proove a bigger nightmare than it did but I must have got lucky

I put the MZ expansion chamber on there to see how it looked but it was hideous, it was almost dragging on the ground & it stuck out the back of the bike by about 18"

the exhaust on a 2t is a critical tuning item as the speed of the exiting gasses causes the suction that draws the fresh charge of fuel into the barrel & the echo of the returning shock wave is timed to cut the fuel flow off at the correct point, get either of those points wrong & you can end up in all sorts of trouble

the size of the header pipe is pretty much set by the manufacturer so that was the easy part but getting the timing of the shock wave too early would mean the exhaust gasses would push back into the bore pushing the unburnt fuel back out, meaning the bike would litteraly be trying to run on fumes

getting the shock wave too late would let unburnt fuel flood the exhaust system causing a whole new set of problems

the down pipe I made by extending the MZ down pipe with a piece of D1 bantam down pipe then I stuck on a right hand silencer from a Triumph T100 Daytona

it sounded fantastic & had an amazing responce in 1st & 2nd gear but tapered off in 3rd & 4th so I changed that for a modern D1 bantam silencer, which wasn't as loud or responsive but gave a more even spread of power through the gears

I've since made a few timing & fuling adjustments that might let the other pipe do it's thing properly, so I'll be trying it again shortly

here's what it sounded like

http://moonport.org//play.php?vid=418
Moonport vids gone , may be lost for ever, anyone with the vids by Mr ripley or Wetsuit we would love to here from you, pm Gibbmodoll.
Old 14-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Sure there is a lot to getting things just right, and sometimes its down to trying things.
That bike sounds just great, and with the great sound system i have set up here, i wanted to jump on and give it a blast down the road Wow .

Last edited by Holly Goodhead; 20-08-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Old 14-12-2009, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

no problem there gibbmodoll

I can let you see what it goes like I'm just uploding a video of it in action & I'll post it here when it's done

then you can really pump up the volume
Old 14-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Wow that sounds good, i look forward to seeing that .

Old 14-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

here you go

http://moonport.org//play.php?vid=454

it took a bit longer than expected as I had file format problems but I got it sorted now
Old 14-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Administrator

That was a great vid:, and i can see what fun it is to get on that bike and ride it, it also sounds amazing too.
I`am sure my Son Richie will love to see the vid also, he has taken pics: of the bike he did and will put them up soon.

Take a ride here, http://moonport.org//play.php?vid=454.

Old 17-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

I just had word from "North coast motor sports" that my new petrol tank has been made & is ready to ship

I can hardley wait to see how it's going to look with a wider tank on, it should give me a range of around 150miles

one of the next jobs I have planned is to figure out some form of voltage converter to give me a 12v suply to power the digital speedo & hopefully a satnav
Old 30-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

I just had my 1st break down on this bike,

nothing serious, just slipped points, but having the thing in bits at the road side when it's chucking it down with rain is never fun,

I had the customs bill for my new tank through this morning & my card was rejected when I tried to pay online so I was off to the bank to sort it out so I wasn't in the best of moods to start with

the bill is now paid & the new tank will be here tomorrow, all's well that ends well eh?