Forums  

Go Back   Forums > New, Classic and Vintage Motorbike Forum

Old 06-01-2010, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

I've just been having a look at the pictures again & I think I figured out why it looks a bit odd

I think if I raise the back end of the tank up a bit so it sits level it might look a bit better,

I might end up making another seat aswell to blend in with it a bit better
Old 06-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

just been for a play in the snow

some of the back streets are still pretty slushy

I found out why it stopped the other day, one of the coil conections had come loose that took all of 1 second to fix after I found it

I raised the back end of the tank up a bit while I was in there & it does look a lot better IMO,

one big bonus with having this larger tank is that I can now grip the tank with my knees which I couldn't do with the old one & that gives me better control on the slippery stuff

just noticed there's fuel dripping from the bottom of the float bowl so I guess that'll have to come off for a looksie probably a bit of detritus in the float needle, I should really get round to fitting an in line filter at some point
Old 14-01-2010, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

hi folks,

the new stickers turned up in the mail yesterday & I just fitted them a couple of minutes ago,

I think I got the left hand one a little higher than the right even though I measured it out, I dont think the letters were set central on the backing

but despite that I like them (a lot)
Old 14-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Hi, that makes the new bike tank look a lot better, and you only see one side at a time, so it should not be a big deal.
Looks like you still have a lot of snow there, for being in the city, is it sill on the roads round you? .
Here is one more great site run by the Group,

http://www.uklovedollforums.co.uk/home.php
Old 14-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ripley View Post
just been for a play in the snow

some of the back streets are still pretty slushy

I found out why it stopped the other day, one of the coil conections had come loose that took all of 1 second to fix after I found it

I raised the back end of the tank up a bit while I was in there & it does look a lot better IMO,

one big bonus with having this larger tank is that I can now grip the tank with my knees which I couldn't do with the old one & that gives me better control on the slippery stuff

just noticed there's fuel dripping from the bottom of the float bowl so I guess that'll have to come off for a looksie probably a bit of detritus in the float needle, I should really get round to fitting an in line filter at some point
Happy to here that was a simple fix, you maybe getting some bits from within that new tank, and getting in the needle valve, an in line filter as you say should help that.

Old 14-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

hi gibb,

the tank does look better now, it almost looks like the right tank for the bike now & it gives it a more polished/finished look

it needs a realy good clean now as the roads have been pretty slimey & it's looking a bit of a mess,

a lot of the snow had melted by tuesday but I woke up to a fresh layer wednesday morning & it just kept going all day we had about another 5 inches in all yesterday but a lot of that has started to melt already

the main road here is clear but the side streets still have plenty on them
Old 01-02-2010, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

I guess this is one project that will never be finished

I was surfing the net last night & found a site that sells tuning parts for these engines

well, to cut a long story short I ordered a complete electronic ignition system with 12v 100watt generator, which is a direct replacement for the old 6v 3phase DC genny with contact breaker ignition

I also ordered a fully tuned exhaust system while I was there
I might have to make a new down pipe to run it along the side of the bike but that shouldn't be too much trouble
Old 01-02-2010, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Hi, that elec: ign: system should be a good thing, we fitted a lot of them to cars back in the 80s-90s, would up the current, and some would control the dwell, and did away with the points.
Some however were no more than spark boosters and still used the points for switching, but had near to no current over them, not the 3.5 amps that would burn them out.

With all that and the tuned exhaust you should have a very hot bike .

Old 02-02-2010, 01:13 AM
Super Moderator

the 6v system that's on it at the moment works very well, it gives a good current to the battery, which every thing else runs off, in turn

the ignition gives a good spark & the bike almost always starts first kick,

so you might be wondering why I want to change it at all,

well, the digital speedo unit I have on there needs a 12v supply to run all of it's features & I am running it on it's own internal cr2032 battery at the moment, I was origonaly planning to just get a voltage converter to give a feed for the clock & maybe my sat nav aswell

there are a few advantages to the new system though, for instance the old generator uses field coils instead of permanent magnets, which are great untill you are out somewhere & forget to switch your lights off, because they will not work with out power to the coils to energise them,

the new system will run perfectly well without any battery at all

I know I'm going to have to change all the bulbs, the horn, & the flasher relay aswell so I think I might just get some new wire, bullets, & spade conectors & do a full rewire while I'm at it,

the points on this ignition do have a nasty habbit of slipping from time to time which can make it run a bit lumpy & sluggish

so I think with the full electronic ignition (no points) set properly I should have an easier time with the fine tuning & with the benefit of an expansion chamber that I know is correctly timed & tuned to give the best level of performance from that engine, it should only be a matter of fine tuning the carburetter to match the exhaust & I think, knowing what I've had out of this engine befor, that speeds up to 80 mph should be a very real possability, whereas I'm just touching 60mph as it is now

I had almost 80mph out of it when it was in the origonal frame with the proper carb & exhaust on it & this frame is only about half the weight of that one
Old 06-02-2010, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

I just got done with the rewire, it took me two days in the end as I got myself a bit confused yesterday & packed it away untill I had had time to consult my books properly

the main problem being that I had wired it up myself to begin with & I hadn't drawn out a wiring dagram for it so after I ripped all the old wiring off it I had no clue where to start appart from the generator/ignition which is it's own self contained system

here's how it looked this morning when I dragged it out of the garage

the generator/ignition is in place & ready to splice into whatever loom I can come up with

here it is several hours (& lots of swearing) later & the wiring is complete & I'd just finished taping it up

normally there would be a headlight bowl to stuff all the surplus wire at the front end into but I had to make do with a few well placed zip ties

it started second kick, which in it's self was a real supprise, I was expecting some teething troubles

I went a few laps round the block & I'm pretty impressed with the way it runs, it seems to have a really smooth power spread all the way through the revs & a good throttle response in all gears

I would deffinitely recomend one of these units to anyone that was thinking of upgrading their electrics

here's a link to the manufacturers website http://www.powerdynamo.biz/