Forums  

Go Back   Forums > Faults We Find On Car Management Systems.

Old 19-08-2010, 05:31 PM

Default Toyota Avensis D4D Poor Starting

Hi....New to the forum but having read many posts on here before and been impressed with the info and content therein, i thought i would ask about a fault i have on a Toyota Avensis that came into the workshop today.

Basically its a D4D common rail which has developed very poor starting with very long cranking times. Customer explained it has happened intermittently over several months. I plugged in the scan tool to check the fuel pressure while cranking which immediately shows a steep rise to around 300bar and then fluctuating up and down between 200 & 300 bar while cranking. Now im assuming this is enough pressure for the engine to start?...and also if i am seeing this pressure on the scan tool can i also assume that the fuel rail pressure sensor is performing ok?....the reason i ask this is that there seems to be a switch either end of the common rail and im not sure which one is the fuel pressure sensor and therefore not sure which one to test with the scope?
I have no data info with regards to this model.

I have also read posts relating to a common fault with the starter motors on the Toyota Avensis whereby they dont crank the engine fast enough for it to start? Its cranking at 200-300 rpm and even if i connect up a booster pack it doesnt seem to help the starting problem too much.

No fault codes stored either.

Any help or info would be much appreciated.

Thanks.....Jon.
Old 19-08-2010, 05:33 PM

Was also thinking of doing a leak off test but it seems the return pipes are completely buried. Anyone ever done a leak off test on one of these?

Cheers..Jon
Old 19-08-2010, 10:52 PM
Administrator

Hi Jonnyboy, and Welcome to the forum, sorry i did not pick up your post before, i have been away from the forum for a time.

Not starting, you maybe best to think about the injectors, they do give trouble, it only takes one to stop it starting, your cranking speed is ok, and the pump pressure, 250 bar min crank i would want to see, the scan tool is not that great for that test, but it gives an idea, if the thing will read with the motor cranking with low volts, the hand set cuts out and needs to reset, so it makes it hard to read.

Spill back test is the thing to do but as you say the pipes are under R/box cover i think and in the head, running into one, the test is hard to do.

There is no good way to test with out removing, or on some i think we made something to test them one by one, but you end up running it with R/box cover off. its a real job to deal with it.

The only real way to test the pump, is with high pressure testing kit, and blank off`s to sub for the pressure reg:.

Not sure about the set up on that car, i am trying to think what it all looks like, you will have a pressure switch, they have three wires, there will also be a reg, to control the pressure, this should only need 2 wires, they work on a square wave changing sig, and the pressure switch a rising voltage, 1.2 volts or more, i think = close to 250 bar, this should be seen cranking, at the pressure switch output.

They do get trouble with the regs: sticking, but this gives more trouble with cut out on road than starting, i would want to know that the injectors are ok.
Hope this is of some help, best Gibbmodoll.
Here is one more great site run by the Group,

http://www.uklovedollforums.co.uk/home.php
Old 20-08-2010, 02:26 PM

HI Gibbmodoll,

Thanks for the reply.......after a little more time i came to the conclusion that although the cranking speed seemed ok it really didnt sound like the starter was performing correctly and it was also getting suspiciously hot even after short cranking periods.....so i opted for a new one.....and what a difference it made......The engine now spins over extremely free and starts immediately.....I really must purchase a current clamp for my new scope....it would of made diagnosis alot quicker im sure.

Thanks again.

Jon.
Old 20-08-2010, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Hi sounds good, and thanks for posting, a current clamp is a very handy tool to have .
Here is one more great site run by the Group,

http://www.uklovedollforums.co.uk/home.php