Forums  

Go Back   Forums > Electronic Diagnostic Forum.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:41 PM

Default land rover discovery 2 TD5 2.5D problem with starting

hello to all mates........i am new to this forum and i will be glad to help each other with our opinions and knowledge.....
i have a landrover discovery 2 engine 1998 model and i have put it onto a defender 1991.......i have put the engine,the gear box,the ecu and the harness of the engine only....i connected the wires positive and negative to the ecu properly like wiring diagramm of autodata and i crank the starter......i send the ecu for immo off to england.....now i crank the engine but not start......i do diagnosis and i have faults for air condition,tachometer,gearbox abs,and engine fan-ac fan.....i have these faults because i have not connect the wires of these components.....i have also new crankshaft sensor,new origin fuel pump onto the car....what else can i check so to start the car.thanks in advance for any opinion
Old 02-03-2012, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Hi Electrician Welcome to the forum , there is so much that could be wrong here, are you saying the immo:, is removed and ecu is free running, you would need to be sure of that fact, as it was key on sig: to B-cam, B-cam sends sig: the immo: pin on ecu, or it is closed down and wont start.

You need check the sensors are active, and you have the supplys and have injection, and fuel pressure, you can test fuel pressure at the back of the engine, by removing the fuel temp sensor, and screw in a gauge, you need to be seeing 4 bar there at cranking.

You should have a 16 pin dia: port somewhere in the wiring loom, look for it and fit a scan tool that will test Landrover, the scan tool should light up and be active, if not check pin 16 of the port, it should be b+volts key off or on, if not find out why.

if the scan tool is active, try and talk to the ecu, see if you get comms:, if not find out why, have you all the supplys and grounds at the ecu from relays x/s.

If you do get comms:, read fault codes, look at the live data and check the sensors are active, and have supplys of 5v, check the throttle tracks, work as the throttle is moved up and down.

That a starting point, and the best way to start looking for a fault,
Hope it helps a bit.

faults for air condition, tachometer, gearbox abs and engine fan, wont matter, as you will see this on a Defender anyway.
Gibbmodoll.
Here is one more great site run by the Group,

http://www.uklovedollforums.co.uk/home.php
Old 03-03-2012, 07:55 AM

hello and thanks for the reply......i have done all of them as you told me before......i have checkedthe fuel pressure,wirings from the sensors to the ecu,communication with diagnostic ok,live data of the sensors...all of them are ok but but the car dont start.......the only that i dont know is when i crank the engine what voltage must i have to the injectors......can anyone help me with this....i wil put a multimeter to one of the injectors and what must i have then?
Old 03-03-2012, 11:04 PM
Administrator

Hi, With the injection, you need a scope, and make tests at the ecu, that is the only real way, the injs: don't open like petrol injectors, they are unit injectors within the rocker box, no coils within.

The fuel is sent to the injectors, at 4 bar, the cam makes the second high pressure within the injector body, the elec: injector clips the spill back, the pressure rise from the clip is enough to feed the cyl: with fuel, at very high pressure.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:12 AM

how can i see if i have pulse to the injectors.....if the ecu open the injectors?when i do with the diagnostic actuators i can open the injectors properly....what else is there that i can do?
Old 04-03-2012, 10:14 AM

is there any other immo off solution for this ecu?msb 101181 93c46 inside
Old 04-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Hi, not that i know of, we do know that the b-cam sends sig: to one of the pins of the ecm, not sure what one without looking that up, the ecu looks at that sig and starts up, if it don't see it it wont work .

Don't know if there is anyway to over ride that, we have never looked into that and i don't know if there is anyone who can.

In you first post you say you had it made into a free running unit, tell more about that, i am thinking you still have immo: fitted, if you have it wont start without it .

Old 04-03-2012, 04:26 PM

what is the b-cam that you say to me please?
Old 04-03-2012, 09:31 PM
Administrator

How was the imm: set up ?, Looks like you are thinking your fault is imm: isue, not fully sure, what kind of imm: system was on the car it came off, some used BCM Range Rover under seat, big unit, or did it have more simple system.

Definder, has more simple system, but you are saying discovery 2 it all came from and fitted to Definder, no (spider) on Td5 Discovery 2, alarm/immobiliser was controlled by the BCU or body control unit which is fitted behind the glovebox.

Think you need to look and see how and what knid of set up it had, what have you done to get over the imm: issue ?.

Is it using a two button Rover blip, or a key with buttons on it ?.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:20 PM

about immo.....i send the ecu to england for immo off tottally......so i dont need any more the immo box(bcu)