Forums  

Go Back   Forums > Repairs and Fixes.

Old 27-05-2015, 05:54 PM

Question BMW 06 wire towbar lights how

Wonder if anyone can help with the wire up of the towbar lights on 06 BMW, I got a relay kit with the bar, said for STD and modulated systems, I am told this will work on my car.

Trouble is when I wire it, the lights don't work, and I don't see 12v at the two side light bulbs, it looks to be 3v, odd.

After wiring the relay the one side light has gone out on the car and I can't get it working again.

I need help, I may have done damage to the elec: systems, thankS for any help anyone can give.
Grease Monkey
Old 29-05-2015, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Hello GM, think I know what you are trying to do, and think you are using a STD relay for can systems.

Well this wont work the way you are trying to do it, first let me tell you why!!
The car has two bulbs per side for the side and brake lights, if you check they have only one pole and a ground.
On side light the light module will send low volts to the side light, and high volts to to same bulb and pole for brake lights.

The single pole bulb will need only one wire to run the two systems, you need two for your trailer, that's why you can't wire it up to work.

You can get round this with this car and the relay you have, next I will tell you how.