Forums  

Go Back   Forums > Hot Topics.

Old 26-07-2011, 02:01 PM

Default Fiat van common rail, no start, where to look.

Hi, we now have a Fiat Doblo van diesel common rail, 04 plate.

It is no start , there are no codes set within the system , how do we test anything, is there more we can do to find the fault.
Thanks for any help you can give.
Old 26-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Hi, Yes sure there is, lets say the batt is up, it will crank, the cam turns, and turns the hight pressure pump, the belt timing is ok.

I ask you to check this as you don't say.

If you run a check and all items are ok, run these tests and come back and report here.

It's a van so get someone to put there ear to the floor half way up in the back of the van, switch on the key, you should hear the elec: pump run in the fuel tank for 30 seconds and stop, if you do, crank motor, the pump should be running well cranking.

Next pull off the top black pipe on top of the black plastic filter, off/side in bonnet bay, with the key on fuel should be seen from the pipe into a jer, it should pump out for 30 seconds with key on, and all the time when cranking.

Check the fuel is diesel and ok, report back here, and i will gide you threw the next step .

The more you know the less you know!!
Old 26-07-2011, 05:36 PM

Thank you very much for your help .
We did sime more checks and yes eng: will crank, belt is ok, pump is working it comming out of pipe you say about.
The fuel looks ok, and customer say it was running on it, it wont even fire or smoke, or go with a tow.
More help would be great thanks CS.
Old 26-07-2011, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Ok, i am sure your fault will be to do with pressure, and to do the tests you will need a lot of high price kit, but i will try and give you some help.

You will need a good multi meter, remove the cover over the engine, air meter is part of it i think, we need to get at the high pressure rail, it runs across the enging.

Check, the rail at the O/S end of the rail, you should see a switch with 3 wires on it, get at the wires, don't remove the plug from the switch, we need to do a test with wires on, but linking into them with the red meter probe.

This is the pressure switch, i want you to run this test, link in to all 3 cables one at a time, black meter probe to B-, meter set to 2v dc will be fine, read the voltage on all 3 cables with key on engine off, and report back here, i am not saying what you will see, i want to see if you can get a test that looks right and we can go no from there.

Old 27-07-2011, 03:38 PM

Thanks, did the test today, there was a orange cable, the tests with key on engine not cranking, were 0.5 volt orange cable, and 0v, and 5volt.
Thanks.
Old 27-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Ok sounds fine, the pressure switch is fine, so i am happy for you to run the test.

Run all three tests again, this time with the motor cranking, make a note of the voltage from all three cables as before, and report back, i know it's taking time but when you next report back maybe i can tell you something .

Old 28-07-2011, 06:20 PM

Thanks and here is the test we did cranking,
Orange cable, 100mv or less.
Next 4.9 volt.
Next would seam like having no volts at all, or 10mv.
Thanks.
Old 28-07-2011, 10:41 PM
Administrator

ok so it's around 100mv on the pressure switch output.

Well you have no pressure in the high pressure m/fold, you have a leak, you need to be thinking why, as the prim at the filter is ok, however there are some systems the you need to be sure that the prim: pressure at the filter is over 2 bar, you can only tell me that there is flow, so lets say it's at 2 bar + for now.

We could have a number of faults here, pressure regulater, the green o ring and white spacer with damage, injectors leaking to high on spill back, high pressure pump bracking up, regulater stuck open.

First i would check the regulater, you will see this at the end of the pressure rail, one end has the switch the other the pressure reg.

It will have two cables, and a plug, held in place with two t/q bolts, undo the bolts, and pull out the reg: i think you will find that the little Green 0 ring and spacer has brocken, check it and let ne know, that will drop the pressure in the rail from 250 bar crank, to zero, and the motor wont start.

Old 29-07-2011, 01:21 PM

Thanks so much, we removed the reg: today, and yes a little green 0 ring has damage, and the white bit behind it as well, it's great news and thanks .

Only thing is you can only get the full new reg: from fiat at well over £200-00 .
Old 29-07-2011, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Oh that is great news, i need to stop you buying a new reg, go to a Mec : van dealer, and get the reg: seal repair kit for a Sprinter CDI van .