Forums  

Go Back   Forums > New, Classic and Vintage Motorbike Forum

Old 03-03-2010, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Sure the resis plug may give trouble, as most of them are open and there is on resis: form end to end, they, or most, seam to have a gap of a type, try a ohm meter test and see.

The cap should give a resis: maybe 10 to 15k, if its from a car, you may find that is open to, a lot of them go faulty.

Maybe your bike had a wire lead?, that should have no resis: within it, carbon and silicone leads test 10 to 15k and more if longer, i have the old wire pulg cable if you need it, and maybe the old type brass ends, but i think your bike may have had a cap but not sure, there are some caps that were used that had no resis: in them.

The more you know the less you know!!
Old 03-03-2010, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

hi Gibb,

suppressed caps & plugs with resistors tend to be used more on bikes than cars as the ignition signal can mess with TV & radio signals where as a car engine is encased in a steel shell which stops this from happening so much,

the HT lead is copper & it came with the new coil that was part of the system

I put another brand new plug in it too befor I went for the test run as the other plug had been coming out dark indicating an over rich mixture, but if the spark was weak causing poor combustion, that would also show as a darkend plug tip,

the good news is that the new plug came out a nice lite tan colour after the test run, so it would seem I am somewhere near to a correct mixture

I'll check the old plug cap tomorrow to see how much resistance it gives along with one of my old resistor plugs
Old 05-03-2010, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

I was on my way to a local shop the other day when the bike started to get a bit loud,

I instantly thought the manafold had come loose as this tends to happen quite often with singles

as I didn't have any tools with me I couldn't do anything about it, so I decided to just carry on & do it when I got home, after going another few hundred yards the loud rasping noise was joined by the clattering sound of steel dragging along tarmac

turns out it wasn't a loose manafold but the hanging bracket at the rear of the pipe had snapped off tearing a hole in the pipe as it did so & letting the exhaust drag along the road

thankfully some one stopped to see if I needed help & I borrowed a couple of spanners off him to re hang the exhaust from the other rear bracket

so today I've been busy again, this time re positioning the pipe

I really didn't like the way it looked as it was anyway & this just gave me an excuse to have a go at something else

I had to make a new header pipe out of parts that I had in my shed but the exhaust now runs along the side of the bike, like a proper trials exhaust should

here's what it looks like now

it's got some pretty heavy scuff marks on it now too, I'll be having the engine out soon anyway to replace all the bearings so I guess I might aswell give it a good clean & paint all those rusty bits while I'm at it
Old 05-03-2010, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Wow, looks a super bit of kit now. You have had a far bit of trouble, and i hope things get better for you soon, is it reving better at the top end now.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

I have had a few problems just lately,

I still haven't been able to open it out fully to see what it can do but it seems better

I've been having trouble with the speedo unit though so I'm not exactly sure what it's doing

it seems that now I've put a non supressed plug cap on there the extra voltage passing through the HT lead is inducing a voltage in the rev counter sencer lead, which is a piece of wire wrapped around the HT lead

this is causing the speedo to overload & give all maner crazey readings

the maximum speed recorder was showing that I had managed 216mph at some point

I've unplugged the sencer lead now & it seems the signal coming from the coil is strong enough to be picked up by the speedo even though it isn't plugged in because the rev counter is still regestering

I think what I am going to have to do is un wind the wire from the lead & connect it up to the HT coil feed from the ignition sender coil in the generator instead

this means I'll have to cut into that new wiring loom I made but that'll also give me a chance to ad a few extra feed wires for some dash board lights & stuff like that
Old 05-03-2010, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Hi sometims you just cant win , it looked like you were going to post before, and then the forum went down, i just got a post in before it went down, but it looked like you may of lost your first post .

Old 06-03-2010, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

yes, I was writing a reply when it all went off

I had to copy it & paste it in later when it came back on
Old 10-03-2010, 08:05 PM

Hi, thats a nice sounding bike.
http://moonport.org//play.php?vid=418
Old 10-03-2010, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

yes that triumph pipe gave it a very distinctive sound

I put that one back on there for a couple of days while I was making the new down pipe for the expansion chamber, & I'd forgotten how deep it sounded

one thing it did do was give me a better idea of the difference in performance between the two pipes, as I had made a few adjustments since I had that pipe on last time, & although it's not as restrictive as the BSA pipe, it has no where near the torque of the expansion chamber

had a bit of a mix up with the engine bearings (the guy ordered the wrong ones) but all being well I shall be making some more videos with the new pipe so you all can hear it now
Old 29-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

hi folks, with the Bantam now finished, I decided it was about time to get back to the Saracen & change the engine bearings as I had been planning to do

it's taken me a bit longer that I thought it was going to as I've been cleaning up some rusty patches on the frame & doing some touching up

I've also had the all wiring loom apart again to add some extra leads in for some dashboard lights

it looks like a rat's been nesting in there though

here's the lights

the only one I haven't got working yet is the charge warning light (Batt) on the original bike there was 1 light that doubled as the charge light & the indicator warning light which ran from the old regulator unit but as that is long gone I need to find where to conect this one up to,

it's also had a new set of four indicators, & a new rear light unit