Go Back   Forums > The Old Kemble Theatre and Cinema Hereford

Old 14-04-2018, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Smile A Star like me!!

A Star like me!!

Old 26-04-2018, 03:53 PM
Administrator

The Hereford Times

A UNIQUE filling station in the Golden Valley which is believed to be one of the oldest in the country is to sell fuel once again following a refurbishment.

Robert Wilding has been running West End Garage, in Vowchurch, since the 1990s when he took over from his dad, Hedley.

The garage has been refuelling motorists since 1923 when Mr Wilding's grandfather, James Charles, was granted a licence to sell petrol.

Widely believe to be one of the oldest filling stations in Britain, Mr Wilding is now taking steps to upgrade the tank so that he can continue his family's legacy.

He said: "My grandfather started selling fuel in 1923. He died in 1948 and my father and uncle took over the business then. I have grown up here.

"I am only using one petrol pump now and trying to keep the tradition up of selling petrol in the Golden Valley.

"I haven't been selling since last June but have been helping people out with petrol should they get stuck. But I am going to start again in the next fortnight."

There are two petrol pumps in the front garden, one a Wayne and the other an Avery.

Large enamelled advertisement plates for Raleigh bicycles and one for Castrol can be seen on the front facade of the house, which dates from the early to mid twentieth century.

Sales take place in the front room of the cottage which has a sales counter for sweets, newspapers and small motoring supplies.

But the traditional appearance of the filling station won't change with the refurb and works are taking place to change the tank to a fiberglass liner with new plastic pipes.

"If the work hadn't been carried out I would have had to have had it filled with concrete or had the tank taken out," Mr Wilding, 67, said.

"So it was one or the other and I decided to carry on. I'm not going to make much money out of it but it's a traditional way of life."

The pump will supply motorists with petrol but Mr Wilding is also able to help anyone who needs diesel.

Speaking about why his grandfather decided to start the business, he added: "He just went into everything. He was a coffin maker, he did building work, he did cycle repairs. He had the first radio in the district, he was just a pioneer, he was a marvellous man that I never met."

Old 26-04-2018, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Old 27-04-2018, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Old 27-04-2018, 09:40 PM

Really great - what a wonderful petrol station!!
Old 27-04-2018, 10:16 PM

nice old pumps and a old time garage as well hope he makes it.
wonder if he has any kids or grand kids to take over when he retires.
carlys_guy
Old 28-04-2018, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlys_guy View Post
nice old pumps and a old time garage as well hope he makes it.
wonder if he has any kids or grand kids to take over when he retires.
carlys_guy
Don't think so, but think Rob has a sister, Bob and Timbo go there to do cars that are to high tech.

It's funny really as it makes Rob a high tech guy, and way ahead of any other garage who just can't fix it.

So in fact you get your high tech car fixed there, that brings Rob Bob and Timbo more work and the only place that could fix it was west End Garage high tech workshop as seen in the photos.

Good for Rob, he has it all worked out, and is a very nice Guy
Holly
Old 28-04-2018, 05:24 PM

Thank you Guy's for checking out my short caper, a lot of fun making it with Rob at West End Garage.

Sham others don't come and check out the site and my other doll friends too but that's life

Hope to see you all again soon, I'm working full time on my big movie right now, and I'm about to star in episode three with Bob himself

Do check out the Competition this year and the clues from Cordie and Mai-Li, everyone has a good chance to win great prizes, and there will be something for the Doll Lady's as well, that will be from me to all prize winners

Thanks all from Lady-J

Last edited by Lady Justine; 28-04-2018 at 05:29 PM.