Forums  

Go Back   Forums > New, Classic and Vintage Motorbike Forum

Old 04-12-2009, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator

Default simple camoflage paint job

for those of you that like to do your own paint work but can't think of what to do
here's a simple & effective camoflage technique

strip, flat, & prime the item to be camoflaged, in this example I've used a petrol tank from a D1 Bantam,

the primer can be either grey or white for this colour scheme, I used grey because I had more grey paint than white at the time

once the tank was primed I covered the whole thing in masking tape, then drew random shapes all over it, & cut them out with a craft knife/scalple

NOTE; it is important to leave each coat of paint for at least 48 hours befor applying masking tape to it, as any solvent fumes still being given off will soften the glue on the tape leaving a slimey residue behind that is almost impossable to remove

next I sprayed it with white primer, & when I removed the tape this was what I had

after leaving it for 48 hours I was ready to do it all again but this time using black spray paint

NOTE; for each progressive colour it gives a better result if you make the paterns you draw, slightly smaller each time. It makes the finished paint job look more intricate

Old 04-12-2009, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator

the last colour I used was gun metal grey

NOTE; don't attempt to flat between coats as this will feather the edges of the coloured blocks making it look fuzzy & unfocused

when you have finished the four colours you will be able to feel the different layers of paint as they will have edges from where the masking tape was, again it is important not to try & flat them out at this point, if you apply several heavy coats of clear laquer & then flat it so the surface of the laquer is smooth you will still have a nice crisp pattern &, hopefully, a smooth surface too
Old 04-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Hello Mr Ripley, i must say that is a great job you did on that bike tank, i do know how much work it is to do, its not just the work, its getting it to look right, and you have got it bang on.

We were just wondering if you were into doing a comouflage job on this one .
http://www.techdiagnostics.co.uk/showthread.php?t=101

Last edited by Holly Goodhead; 20-08-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

holy crap,

that's a big bugger

think I'll stick to the smaller stuff if you don't mind
Old 06-12-2009, 07:28 PM
Administrator

I sure dont blame you, if anyone should want a Comouflage job, ask the size first, you never know it could be a tank, but a little bigger .
http://www.techdiagnostics.co.uk/showthread.php?t=102

Last edited by Holly Goodhead; 20-08-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

good idea to ask 1st eh?

thankfully no one has asked me to do a camoflage job for them yet, you never know what I might have let myself in for, with out seeing it first hehe
Old 19-06-2012, 11:20 PM

Had an slight inkling who Mr Ripley was but had hoped that I was wrong and would natter with a Brit biker but after seeing an old link I'm now sad to have missed a kindred spirit.